3.27.2010

Ravelry Pattern Store Beginning


Well, I've decided that I am no longer going to sell finished items, so I've self-published my "Sweet Little Mittens" pattern and put a .pdf in my new Ravelry pattern store.  It's already been favorited twice, and queued once.  That's exciting to me.  I'm glad that people like it.  I'm already working on the next pattern to go in my store.  I hope to have a sneak peek up in the next few weeks.

I have made these mittens from a large variety of yarns, but in writing a pattern I had to settle on just one yarn to write it in.  I chose Mission Falls 1824 Wool.  It is a soft 100% Superwash that is a heavy worsted.  It comes in a large variety of colors, though not really in typical baby colors.  I kind of like being able to make things for kids in more sophisticated colors, myself.  However a person could easily substitute a different heavy worsted and make sure to check gauge and adjust hook size if necessary.  Only 1 skein of the main color is needed for any size, and about 12 yd is all that's needed for the buttons, so you could just use a scrap that you already have in your stash and make this a 1 skein project.  I bought this color "Cornflower" at the The Gourmet Yarn Co. store in Oklahoma City and payed aroung $6.50 for it, so that's a pretty good price for a nice pair of mittens.  I am selling the pattern for $1.50.

Also this last week, I sent in another magazine submission.  This time I am submitting two pattern ideas.  I am not actually hoping to make them both, because I'm not sure I would have the time.  My reason for sending two is to increase my chances of getting one published.  Interestingly, just submitting a truly good idea doesn't always guarantee that you get published.  For instance, I submitted a truly awesome design idea for this Summer's issue, if I do say so myself.  Until a few days ago I had not received any response on it.  I emailed the Associate Editor, Toni Rexroat, to ask her about it.  I got an email a few days ago letting me know that they were not going to be using it in the Summer issue, which I had already gathered because of the timing.  However, they had really liked it, so they held it for consideration for another issue.  Sometimes really good design ideas don't get published because they just don't fit well with the other patterns that are going into the issue, however they will not be using it for that either.  They try to find a few different themes to go with among all of the submissions they get.  So, by sending two different ideas, it better insures that one of my ideas will fit in.

Well, until next time, have a cheery day everyone!

April

No comments:

Post a Comment