10.19.2010

Sneak Peek & Free Yarn For Me


Here is a sneak peek for you of my next self-publish pattern.  I've been waiting to get paid for my "Avery's Wavy Scarf" pattern from Interweave Crochet's Accessories issue, just out, so that I could buy 3 more balls of this Plymouth Yarn Co. Suri Merino to finish the model item.  The pattern is nearly all written already.  Then I had the bright idea to find out who the design director at Plymouth Yarn Co. is and see if they would be willing to provide the 3 balls of yarn for me -- and voila! the yarn is on it's way (Big thanks to them!).  This is such a nice part of having some published designs under my belt.  It lets the yarn manufacturers see that I am actually a serious designer, and not just a consumer looking for a deal.  So, much to my joy, I have that yarn, and some other great yarn from another yarn company on the way for design projects.

 
Now, these two pictures are for you to compare.  The teal mittens on the left are the model pair that I made for my self-publish pattern "Sweet Little Mittens".  You can see that the shape of the mitten body is rather long and narrow.  The red mittens on the right are a pair that I just listed in my Etsy shop.  The body of those mittens is more rounded.  Just recently someone uploaded some pictures of some mittens she made from my pattern on ravelry.  She said that the pattern was nice and easy -- good.  She also said that she thought the shape was a little odd since babies tend to keep their hands curled up into fists.  I think that either shape works fine, but I have concluded that I prefer the more rounded shape just because I think it looks cuter.  I'm curious what you all think.  Do you prefer one over the other?  I think that I may do another verison of this pattern in the more rounded shape, probably written in Valley Yarns Superwash DK.

I have been making lots and lots of baby mittens to list in the shop this week and last, but I think that tomorrow, with what craft time I have, I will probably focus on the re-write of the mitten pattern, and the writing of the sneak peek project I showed you at the beginning of the post.  Mostly though, I'll be cleaning house tomorrow.  I have begun having a crafting night for myself and friends that I am calling "Get Your Craft On".  Our first get together is at my home tomorrow night, so I have to tidy up a bit.  That way I can deceive all of my friends into thinking that I am Superwoman, and can crochet a lot, AND have a clean house ;)  Hopefully the kids will cooperate with my scheme and not undo all of my cleaning-up as the day goes on.  Fingers crossed! (but not holding my breath!).

Happy crafting!

April :)

PS-Don't forget that I will be moving over entirely to my newer blog http://www.bananamoonstudio.blogspot.com/ at the end of this month.  I hope to see you there! :)

4 comments:

  1. Can't fool me April. I know you're a mom like the rest of us. ;) I do the same thing when I have people coming over too.

    Your mittens are adorable!! I love them both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute mitts. I have been thinking about opening shop for a few designs of my own, what made you choose etsy and have you heard of artfire.com?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, contacting the design director was a genius move! Good for you! :-)
    I have a shop on both etsy and artfire. I get more sales on etsy, but I think the sales I've made on artfire are worth keeping it open. Because of the item importer, listing on artfire is dead simple, so it's really not a lot extra to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your input hobbyzuand. I hope that momwhoknits saw your comment since it might help her make a decision about the two. And thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete