1.12.2011

Goofing Off


This is a bag that I decided to make for Princess to carry her ballet and tap shoes when she goes to her new dance class.  It is from a pattern called "Swirling Bag" by Kathy Merrick that is in Interweave Crochet, Fall 2009.  It was a book excerpt from the book "Crocheted Gifts".  It's a neat-looking swirly drawstring bag, that I have instead fashioned into a purse.  I plan to close it with a zipper, and have gathered two sides together and tied them with bows to make a flat opening just right for the zipper.  Princess is pretty excited about it.  I've made the whole thing with some of the random yarns from my "yarny inheritance" and my Jimbo size 7 crochet hook
I LOVE this hook!  This is actually the first project I've used it on.  Not many projects call for a size 7, so I don't have reason to use it often, but I wanted to use it for this project.  I have so enjoyed it's smoothness and the bulkier-than-usual handle, which is easier on my hands.  I am very tempted to buy another Jimbo hook, but I'm supposed to be saving up all my money for the Knit and Crochet Show coming up in Minneapolis this summer. 

I also took some time off from "work" to make some flower hairclips for my younger sister.  She told me sometime before Christmas that she would like some flower hairclips.  I didn't get around to making them until Sunday.  I had her choose yarns from my scraps and I made the flowers that night from Lionbrand's pattern, Flower Hair Accessories.
The pattern is pretty good.  I didn't like that it had you work in a continuous spiral instead of joining the rounds.  When you work these in a spiral there is one petal that sticks out funny at the end of the flower.  If you joined the rounds I think it wouldn't stick out like that.  Of course, I could have just altered them, but you know, sometimes it's nice to just do stress-free crochet that doesn't require thinking.  Now if I could just find my glue gun I could finish these...

Also, I realized that I never put up a post about my Chain Reaction Afghan block, "Woven Threads" that was also in Interweave Crochet, Winter 2010 along with my Spring Creek Jumper.  Here is a picture of the original block I made:
Here is a pictures of the block as it was redone by Interweave in their color pallet

The yarns were a little different in size which made them have to redo their numbers a bit and it made the strips a bit wider.  I like the color pallet they used, it's interesting.  I think the final afghan will be really beautiful once they put all the squares together.

When I started thinking about the afghan square I would make for this contest my first thought was to make a 12" x 12" square in "fur" stitch, which has little loops sticking out all over one side of it, to look like grass.  Then to applique flowers in the aqua, gold, red, and orange that you see in the square I did make.  I began making it, but just wasn't feeling very excited about it.  So, this idea of long strips woven together came to me and I went with it.  I loved how it turned out.  It came it 3rd place in the member voting, so I think others must have liked it a lot too.  I used Naturally Caron Country for mine.  I'm not sure what yarn Interweave used for theirs. 

I've noticed something about myself and my crochet style recently.  In this project, the Spring Creek Jumper, the Bella Dress, and other projects you haven't seen yet, that I have a thing for working on both sides of the foundation chain.  I do that a lot.  I don't think I set out to do it on purpose, but it is a technique that I like.  It can take out a seam in some places, and allow you to change direction in your work, and provide symmetry by making the same thing on both sides of the chain.  What are your favorite crochet techniques?

I'd love to hear about your crochet projects too, or your comments on mine!

Happy crafting!

April :)

4 comments:

  1. My favorite stitches are FPdc & BPdc. You can do so much with them. Plus I love texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Kristine! Post stitches are awesome, and they can make amazing things happen to your crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I'm in the correct spot to ask a question? I am trying to crochet the Woven Threads square as part of a chain reaction afghan of my own. I am fairly new to anything other than basic crochet stitches. I am having such a hard time with making the strips. I can get the body of it just fine..but the corners are not working for me. I'm using the pattern from the chain reaction download .. I am now on my fifth try and mine all come out the same...Wrong..I can see in the projects tab that many have also created your square. I am definetely doing something not right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      I made a video tutorial for those strips. You should be able to find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oN-OxhK9Fs

      If that link doesn't work, let me know. Hope that helps!

      Delete