3.02.2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

 I know it's been a few weeks since I posted anything.  I've had a dry spell of exciting news lately -- I myself am a little anxious to hear some exciting good news on the crochet front.  I sent in 2 submissions over the past month, and I will hopefully have some excitement soon. 

These are some pictures of the "Cat in the Hat" hat that I made for Drama Queen.  Her class is celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday today by dressing up as characters from his books.  She of course is Cat in the Hat.  She told me that was what she wanted to be.  I said, "but we don't have the right kind of hat."  Now, it had already occurred to me that I could make her one, but I was hoping she wouldn't ask me to do that since I was already busy with design project prototypes.  However, since she knows that her mommy is crafty and capable she said, "you could crochet one mommy!"  Since I didn't want to let down my girl, I made the hat.  I'm not going to bother writing a pattern for this.  You just begin by making a circle with the same circumference as your child's head, then crochet the stripes by working the same number of single crochet as the last round of your circle.  Then when you get to the brim, just continue the circle where you left off until the brim is around 1 1/2" wide.  Some random increasing and decreasing through the stripes can give the hat the wonky look of the original.  Just make sure that you end up with the right number of stitches at the bottom just before starting the brim so it isn't too big or too small.
She also wore a black shirt, black skirt, and black leggings.  She also has a piece of black "feather" boa hanging from her back belt loop for a tail.  She looked pretty cute!

Switching gears: Do you know about the Crochet Liberation Front?  This is an organization that encourages crocheters to not be ashamed of their craft in the face of strongly-biased knitters.  They encourage yarn companies to market to crocheters by providing crochet pattern support -- not just knitting patterns.  You can find the website at http://crochetliberationfront.com/.  They will soon have open voting for the best designs, designers, magazines, companies, etc. in the crochet world -- the 3rd annual "Flamie" awards.  They are called the Flamies because the "mascot" if you will, of the Crochet Liberation Front is the flaming hook of justice.  I enourage you to go check out the website and see the finalists.

I have been dwelling a lot in the last few weeks on things that I would love to buy for my business.  I know that dwelling on wants is not the way to feel positive about things, but it has been in the forefront of my mind because the two design projects I have been working on would have been, or would be SO much easier if I had these things: blocking board (design project #1 is currently blocking on my bed, and due to the size of it is taking a long while to dry. A big thanks to Mr AC. We both sacrificed for the sake of my craft last night by sleeping in the living room), computer and 3-in-1 printer/scanner/copier (I already have these things, but having another set just for business would be really nice.  I could keep it in my room away from the mischevious fingers of my kids.  That would also allow me to buy ink and paper with business money since I would know that all that I used up was used for business), Garment Designer (a software program that I could use to generate schematics for designs, thereby giving myself a lot more confidence that the finished item will actually fit well.  Currently I base these measurements on schematics from other similar crochet designs, or on a sewing pattern).  I would be making some headway on this wish list if I weren't saving up to attend the Knit & Crochet Show this summer in Minneapolis.  I'm really hoping to get some more design contracts before this summer so that I can pay for it all.  And then some more design contracts after that so that I can attend to my wish list.

Sorry for being pretty quiet lately.  I just don't like to bore people by posting about "nothing" just for the sake of posting something.  I hope that you all have a marvelous rest of the week.  Feel free to drop me a line!

Happy crocheting!

April :)

No comments:

Post a Comment