7.12.2011

Off-topic: Garden

 Have I ever mentioned that I garden?  Probably not, I usually try to stay pretty on topic with crafty stuff.  I thought I'd show you some pics of our garden though.  We have strawberries, flowers that our girls insisted on planting in their spots that are marked off with white rocks, squash (that is not doing well), canteloupe (that is not doing well), pumpkin (still a little plant), carrots, green beans, okra, tomatoes, mint, peppers (2 varieties), lettuce, and onions.  We have gotten to eat onions, carrots, and lettuce, but most of the "fruit"-bearing plants aren't producing well because of the heat -- their flowers just fall off without producing anything.  I'm hopeful that we'll get a lot in early September when things cool off just a bit.  Gardens tend to be this way.  Some summers you get lots, and others you don't.  It's been good for me though, it gets me on my feet and out in the sun each day.
 In this pic you can see some of Lady Hops-a-lot's flowers, mint, okra, carrots, onions, and green beans.
In this pic you can see a pepper, tomatoe, green bean, and my lettuce, which I am very pleased with.

Anyone else a gardener?  What do you have in your garden?

Happy crocheting, and gardening!

April :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow you are so talented. I need to do that for my soil is so bad it won't grow a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol! Yes, I agree, the soil here is terrible! We have broken a shovel handle off, maybe even two of them, trying to dig into our pure clay "soil". A raised bed is definitely the way to go in my opinion. We lined the bottom with weed block after digging out most of the grass. We have had very few weeds or grass to pull so far, some but not much.

    ReplyDelete