3.19.2013

Happy National Crochet Month!


For today's stop on the Tour Through Crochet Country I am pleased to offer you a FREE pattern for this gorgeous afghan block -- "Peacock Feather Square".  The finished block, worked in Red Heart Super Saver with a K/10.5 (6.5mm) hook, is about 5 1/4" (13.3cm) square.

This project is now on Ravelry, so I would love to see finished blocks or blankets there or on my Facebook page!  If you use this pattern to make a blanket for our charity, Project Night Night, I will be even more excited, since that was my motivation for offering this.

So, here it is:

Peacock Feather Square


What You'll Need
Red Heart Super Saver [364 yds(333 m)/7 oz(198g); 100% Acrylic; Weight category: 4/Medium]
  • #0528 Medium Purple (A): 1 skein
  • #0886 Blue (B): 1 skein
  • #0624 Tea Leaf (C): 1 skein
  • #0316 Soft White (D): 1 skein

Crochet Hook
  • K/10.5 (6.5mm)

Notions
  • Yarn needle

Gauge
  • Completed square measures about 5 ¼ x 5 ¼ in. (13.3 x 13.3 cm), but gauge is not critical for this project.
Note
  • Square is worked in joined rounds with RS always facing. Do not turn between rnds.

Square
With A, make an adjustable ring
Rnd 1: Ch 2(does not count as a st now and throughout), 12 dc in ring, join to first dc with sl st – 12 dc. Pull beg end to tighten ring. Fasten off A.
Rnd 2: With B, join to first dc with sl st, ch 2, [hdc, sc]in first dc, (2 sc in next dc, sc in next dc)2 times, 2 sc in next dc, hdc in next dc, 2 hdc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, [2 tr, ch 1, 2 tr]in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, 2 hdc in next dc, join to first hdc with sl st – 23 sts. Fasten off B.
Rnd 3: With C, join to first hdc with sl st, ch 1, 2 sc in first hdc, (sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st)3 times, sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, hdc in next st,
2 hdc in next st, dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, [2 tr, ch 1, 2 tr]in ch sp, 2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st, hdc in next st, sc in last st, join to first sc with sl st – 36 sts. Fasten off C.
Rnd 4: With D, join to first sc with sl st, ch 2, hdc in first st, sc in next 5 sts, hdc in next st, dc in next st, [2 dc, ch 2, dc, hdc]in next st, sc in next 2 sts, sl st in next st, sc in next 2 sts, hdc in next st, dc in next 2 sts, [2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr]in next st, tr in next st, dc in next 2 sts, hdc in next st, sc in next 4 sts, [2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc]in ch sp, sc in next 4 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next st, tr in next 2 sts, [dtr, ch 2, tr, dc]in next st, join to first hdc with sl st – 48 sts; 4 ch sps. Fasten off D.
Rnd 5: With A, join to first hdc with sl st, ch 1, *sc in each st to ch-2 sp, [2 sc, ch 1, 2 sc]in ch sp, repeat from * 3 times, sc in each remaining st, join to first sc with sl st – 64 sc; 4 ch sps. Fasten off.

Finishing
With RS facing, and working through back loops only, whipstitch squares together. Edge blanket as desired. Weave in all ends.

(C)2013 April Garwood, 
You may make hard copies for your own personal use, not for commercial use.  You may not copy and paste this pattern onto other websites.  If you know others that would like to have this pattern, please direct them to my blog, rather than making copies for them.


I hope that you enjoy making this square.  I think it turned out so cute!  Incidentally, if you want to make an avocado blanket square, you could do the first round in brown and rounds 2 and 3 in green, LOL.

Also on the blog tour today will be Mary Colucci of the CGOA Board.  Don't forget to visit tomorrow's stop on the blog tour: Alaina Klug

Many thanks to Amy and Donna of Crochetville for organizing the blog tour, and to the CGOA for the many helpful resources, and to the other professionals and associate professionals for making this a wonderful NatCroMo!

Happy stitching, and Happy National Crochet Month!

April :)

32 comments:

  1. Hi,April!

    I just love this design! I have a friend who just love peacocks and this will be perfect for her. I couldn't help noticing that the basic shape also suggests an Easter egg....lots of possibilities! Thank you for sharing it! I may make a solid-colored center version for the babies stuck in the hospital over the Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's a sweet idea Dani. I'm glad you like it. It could be beyond adorable paired with an amigurumi peacock for those Project Night Night bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a niece who is expecting a daughter next month and the theme of the baby's room is peacocks! I will start on a blanket tomorrow!!!

    Thanks for posting the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to be so helpful my anonymous friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing. I liked this so much I went to your Ravelry store and had to by the sweet little hat pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Nanaliz! I really appreciate that! Enjoy them both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello and thanks for the free pattern. I love peacocks, so my next stop is Yarn purchase for the turquoise. Love It! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Carla! Glad I could give you an excuse to go yarn shopping ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very unique square! Awesome:0)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool square! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Angela and Marie! I'm glad you like it! I felt pretty cool for designing it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this square! Thank you so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I pinned this for later and later is now...this was a lot of fun to make...can't wait to add this square to my others for a very unique blanket!!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love
    Love
    Love!

    Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this pattern. I volunteer at a Zoo and we have beeen asked to knit / crochet various birds and animals and Peacock was on the list. Sadly, I can't find a pattern for a whole peacock but at least I can start on some feathers using this for a guide :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you are all enjoying it! I've googled pictures of peacock crochet and seem some beautiful amigurumi, but I don't know if any of them have patterns. Good luck on your zoo project!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE THIS SQUARE YOU CREATED AND CAN ALSO SEE THIS AS AN EASTER EGG AFGHAN WITH ALTERNATING RABBITT SQUARES. GREAT DESIGN AND THANKS FOR SHARING.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your time and talent. My bedroom is in peacocks so I will make a throw for the bed. Bless You =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful, my daughter loves peacock feathers, I will be making this for her thank you sooo much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really fine looking granny square and one I will try out. Thank you so much, Ann!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. How can I print the pattern for myself with out the side ads covering the actual directions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could probably just copy and paste the text. If it were me, I would use my "snip-it" tool to take a partial screen shot of just the pattern. If you have Windows 7, you should have a "snip-it" tool.

      Delete
  22. I am making afghans for all of my great nieces and my niece tagged me in this picture and said "Where's mine? This one will do" lol So now I get to do one more. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. THANK you sooo much for this amazing pattern! I guess I better get busy making one for my daughters wedding gift!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I tried making this for hours last night. no matter what I do, I cannot get the second round to be 23 stitches. It ALWAYS ends up being 25 stitches. Is there any way you could do a step by step photo tutorial or something? I so desperately want to make this I cant even tell you and I literally tried everything I could think of the make this last night. I fudged the stitches to make the stitches equal 23 but of course none of the other rounds matched up so it just became a mess. If there is a way I can send you a video of me doing the round so you can tell me what the heck I am doing wrong I will gladly do that, because I really want to make this square!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I would love so much to help you. I am too busy this week to be able to make a video, but I could probably watch one from you if you want to send me a link to a video, or an actual video or picture. You can email to top.banana @ bananamoonstudio . com (take out all the spaces). Make sure that you have the correct # of stitches in your first rnd and that you aren't stitching into your turning chain, since it does not count as a stitch. That can be a common problem. I will have a little more free time next week, so, if we haven't solved the problem by then, I might be able to do more at that point.

      Delete
  25. Great pattern, thanks for making it free.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for sharing. A friend has made a wreath of peacock feathers and this will go perfect with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an awesome square! I love, love, love it!!!
    Can't wait to make these - already trying to figure out a border for a blanket.
    Do you have a picture somewhere to show completed blanket?
    I make blankets for Project Linus and Project Nite Nite....both such wonderful causes! Have been doing this for years and love the feeling I get making and giving these much needed items.
    Thank you for creating and sharing this pattern...again would love to see pic of one you have completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheribella! I'm so glad you like it! Are you on Ravelry? There are several projects on there that could give you ideas. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/peacock-feather-square

      Delete
  28. I just made my first for a pillow in greens and it looked like a leaf! I am also going to try thread yarn and only rows 1 - 3 with an A hook for earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you very much for your peacock square, I the design and color combo. I can not wait to start this as a baby blanket for a friend.

    ReplyDelete