4.30.2013

Franklin Habit, Marly Bird, and Craftsy


Today I actually got to listen live to the Yarn Thing podcast by Marly Bird!  I am usually busy teaching my girls when it is on, since we homeschool.  However, we are enjoying a break this week before our last 4 week push to the end of the school year.

So, I was listening to the wonderful podcast, getting to know all about Franklin Habit, knit designer, cartoonist, and teacher extraordinaire!  I learned that he was taught how to knit when he was a student at Harvard University.  I learned that he once knitted a REALLY long scarf because he hadn't learned how to bind off yet.  There was a lot of great stuff in the podcast that I enjoyed.  You should go over to the Yarn Thing site on blog talk radio and listen.

Marly loves giving away prizes.  I've listened to several episodes now, and she always gives away something, usually multiple somethings.  So, I was listening live and chatting in the chat room with Ellen Gormley and Laurinda Reddig (both of them fantastic crochet designers).  It was almost time for the prizes and they both said something along the lines of, "I won just a few weeks ago, April, so it's your turn."  I had my cell phone ready to call in.  And I won!  I get to take Franklin's Craftsy class, Heirloom Lace Edgings for free!  Not only that, but I got to talk to two awesome and famous knit designers!  If you go listen to the podcast you'll get to hear your's truly talking about how much I need help with knit lace edgings.  The close-up above the shawl I mentioned as I talked with them.  I am still very much a novice when it comes to knitting.  I'm so excited!

I told Mr. AC my good news when he came home to have lunch with us and his response was, "Where do you have to go to take the class???"  He's thinking I'm taking a trip somewhere to redeem this free class.  I wish!  I'd love to visit one of the Stitches events to attend a class live.  I can tell you though from our brief visit on the phone and from listening to the podcast, that Franklin is a very nice person.

Well, once I've done the class I'll come back and tell you how it went.  Have you ever taken a Craftsy class?  Did you listen to the podcast?  What did you think?

Happy Stitching!
April




No comments:

Post a Comment