8.07.2013

FO: Glen Lennox Shawl

Remember my review of the book "Free-Spirit Shawls" by Lisa Shroyer?  Well, I recently finished a project from the book and turned out to be so beautiful and soft!


This is Glen Lennox, designed by Kate Gagnon Osborn.  Most of the shawl is worked in seed stitch with a cabled edge.  I used Plymouth Yarn Baby Alpaca Worsted #100, which is so soft.  I used 3 full hanks and part of a 4th.

I learned something while making this.  This was my first knit cable project ever, so it stands to reason that I would learn something, right?  Well, what I learned has to do with how you wrap your working yarn, but now for the life of me I can't remember which way it was wrapped that made it look better.  When I started, and most of the way through, when I put my 3 held stitches to the back I was taking my working yarn across the front of those stitches, I think.  Then, when I was nearly finished, I switched it, and it made the cable look so much nicer!  Did I rip it all out and start over?  Of course not!  Now, when I do something for publication, I am really meticulous and hard on myself about making the models perfect...which is why I don't design in knit...yet.  However, I was not going to rip this whole thing out and start over.  I just decided to consider it a lesson learned...except that I forgot which way I wrapped it that worked better.  However, next time around, I'll look at it carefully and make sure I get it right the first time.


Can you see the difference between the left and right sides of the picture?  The left side is how I started; the right side is how I finished.

Any experienced knitters out there that want to chime in and say which way it should go for sure so that readers don't leave here confused?

Have you made a knit cable project?  How did it go?  What was it?  What did you learn?

Happy stitching!

April

1 comment:

  1. Lovely shawl. I love cables in my projects, whether on a plain background or paired with lace.

    ReplyDelete