10.08.2013

Kaleidoscope Cover

Introducing the Kaleidoscope Cover! This is another of the fab patterns from my new e-book "Banana Moon Studio Book One: Girls". This was inspired by my own love of reading and that of my girls. I am an avid journal-keeper also, and I LOVE real books! E-readers are very convenient, but for me, books are multi-sensory, and an e-reader just doesn't compare. You can make this cover for a journal, special book of scripture, or a favorite storybook, even a textbook.


The instructions walk you through the math involved to determine how many stitches and rows you need to make a cover that is just the right size for the book you want to cover. The motif is about 6 in./15 cm in diameter, so if you want the motif to fit, you'll need your book cover to be at least 6 in./15 cm square.


The yarn I used is Valley Yarns Longmeadow, a cotton/microfiber blend. It is a sport weight/light yarn. This yarn is soft with many nice colors. I had a lot of fun deciding which colors to put together for this cover. I ordered 6 colors, and chose 3 to work with: #15 Dark Blue, #5 Fuchsia, #10 Lettuce. You need just 1 skein of each.


The motif made me think of a kaleidoscope. (I've had to type that word so many times lately that I actually memorized the spelling!). This is an easy project. The cover is made all in single crochet with some slip stitching along the top and bottom edges to seam a flap that fits over the edge of the book. The motif is appliqued to the cover.


I fiddled with the idea of stitching the rest of the cover around the motif, but it pulled the motif out of shape and it didn't look as nice. It also made the instructions a lot more complicated, so I opted for applique instead.

The e-book is available for $13.99 on Ravelry, Etsy, Craftsy, and on my website. It includes 7 patterns for girls.

What do you think? What colors would you make it in? What book would you cover with it? Any guesses as to what book I covered with it?

Happy stitching!
April

No comments:

Post a Comment