10.23.2014

Spinzilla


I recently participated in Spinzilla, a spinning event hosted by The National Needlearts Association (TNNA). It took place October 6-12. Beginning just after midnight on the 6th spinners across the globe began spinning. The goal, to spin as much as you possibly can in one week. I spun just a little over a mile of yarn myself. These two skeins of laceweight singles make up the bulk of it. There was another 60 yards or so on my spindle. These two skeins were spun on my Ashford Traveler wheel. By the way, the dimes are there as a reference for the thickness of the yarn.

The amount of yarn spun in that one week was astronomical! All together the Spinzilla participants spun almost 4,000,000 yards of yarn! Enough yarn to go from Chicago to Eureka, CA!

The entry fee was a mere $10 and the money raised is going to fund programs that teach others to spin -- thereby enriching and enlarging our fiber arts community.

The prizes have yet to be announced, but of course that's the exciting part that we are all waiting for. Many companies have sponsored various prizes and awards!

I participated as a member of team WEBS. I've never had the opportunity to visit WEBS, but I have ordered from them, designed in their yarns, and maybe will someday design for them. Our team came in 14th out of more than 55 teams! Our team spun over 88,000 yards of yarn.

What do I plan to do with this yarn? Well, I don't know yet what it's final, beautiful destiny will be, but I plan to make a 3-ply yarn with all my singles when I finish spinning the rest of the same batch of red wool.

Did you participate? I'd love to see pics of your yarn! You can share them on my Facebook page.

Happy spinning!
April

No comments:

Post a Comment