11.25.2014

DIY Holiday from Interweave

DIY Holiday 2014: The Crafting Life
Interweave/F+W; $9.99


I was given the opportunity to review this fun magazine called "DIY Holiday: The Crafting Life" by Interweave/F+W. They say this is the "premier" issue, so hopefully there will be more to come, because this is really a great magazine!

I'm going to tell you all about it, but I'll tell you now to stay tuned for a giveaway at the end...

The neat thing about this magazine is that it is not just one craft. It's not just yarn-craft either. This includes quilting, sewing, beading, knitting, crocheting, weaving, and mixed media. This really is a crafter's paradise. All the projects are fairly small, but with enough variation for you to find something for close friends, family members, teachers, etc. Something for everyone! Enjoy crafting for the holidays!


First up, a surprise to all of us. One of the crochet designs in this magazine, is one of mine! I had no idea it was going to be in here, so I was surprised to see it. This is Vega Cowl that was originally printed in Interweave Crochet Accessories 2012. The cowl is made with star-shaped motifs, joined together as-you-go. It is made with 3 balls of Lionbrand LB Collection Cashmere. This is truly a luxurious yarn! So amazingly soft! I highly recommend using it.


My first time glancing through the magazine I had daughter #2 sitting in my lap. She has recently wanted to learn to sew, and we have been working together on a chiffon blouse. All of the stitching involved is pretty simple -- just straight lines, but chiffon...why did she have to choose that first? It's actually going fairly well though.

Anyhow, my budding seamstress was immediately drawn to the project above, "Envelope Clutch", by Erin Harris. She is determined to have one of her grammies help her sew it. I hope she makes one for me!


There are some really great jewelry projects in the magazine. My girls liked the earrings best, but this one was my fav. It would actually go really well with a greyish-blue dress I have that has an ivory colored belt with a gold-colored belt buckle. This is called "Olympic Medals Necklace" by Chloe Chatenever.

Strange how I'm thinking of these projects for me... These are supposed to be gift ideas, right?


Now, this project I really did think of as a gift. Aren't these awesome?! This project is called "Resin Bangles" by Heidi Boyd. In my extended family each family buys a stocking stuffer for each of the 19 members of the family (my parents, 4 sisters, their spouses, my 5 nieces and nephews, and my family of 6). These would be a perfect stocking stuffer for the girls in the family!

I've never done anything like this, so it seems a little intimidating, but the instructions are very good. I actually feel pretty confident about it now that I've read through them. They are made with resin, so you need resin mix and a mold as well as some other supplies. This could be a fun project to do with my girls. So maybe we'll get the supplies and make one each day until we get them all finished. Which of the 3 bracelets pictured is your favorite? I think I really like the bottom one with the paperclips.


This project is knit and is called "Walker Scarf". The designer is Andrea Babb. Isn't the detail on the scarf ends gorgeous?! That's what really caught my eye on this one. I think this could be a great scarf for a man or a woman. I could see making this for my dad, my husband, or maybe a close friend. What do you think? Who would you make this for? The yarn is Madelintosh Pashmina Worsted, 3 skeins.

So, the awesome thing is that Interweave/F+W sent me 3 extra copies of the magazine to give away! Awesome, right?! Three of you get to win this time! Please leave a comment to tell me which of the above projects you would make as a gift, and who you would make it for (just for fun). You'll be entered in the drawing. I will draw 3 random winners and announce them on Thurs. December 4th here on the blog and elsewhere (Twitter, FB, you know the drill). If you win I'll need to get your address so that I can mail you your copy.

Such a great magazine, and I'm so happy to have a copy for myself! Happy crafting!

April

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely make the star earrings for both myself and as gifts. My second choice would be the bangles. Those are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the paper clip bangle too. Looks like fun

    ReplyDelete